Monday, January 21, 2008

Week One Progress Report

I feel a bit silly, putting a massive “To Do List” online, but I like lists. I make several lists a week, I have notebooks and diaries full of lists, bullet points and reminders, (Obviously, I'm compulsive.) but only a few of these things ever get done. My hope is that publishing these goals online will give me the added incentive to actually do them.

A lot of these are fairly prosaic, like: #15 sell my books. But if you realize that these books have been sitting in boxes in my apartment’s entryway for a year, even though I trip on them, they ruin the look of the entryway and mean I can’t open the coat closet properly, you begin to see that it is actually a crisis of procrastination. I've got to do something to motivate myself.

So have I sold the books yet? No. But I’ve done some other stuff!

I have now gone a week without Diet Coke (#14), and I love diet coke. I’m quitting because:


  • It’s expensive. I figured out that I’d spent roughly $600 on Diet Coke last year. Just think of what I could do with $600 dollars!
  • I’ve noticed that long term cola drinkers tend to have oddly transparent teeth. This is scary.
  • It’s environmentally unsound. Once you’ve had your drink, then you have to deal with the can or bottle it came in.
  • I’ve replaced it with ice tea which is better for me, health-wise, and still provides enough caffeine to get me going. I may save my teeth yet. But I still have 3 weeks and 2 months to go before I finish this goal. I miss my coke! I really do.

    I’ve been to the movies (#48) for the first time in a long time, to see Sweeny Todd. Meh. The film isn’t bad, though I didn’t think it was possible to be darker than the original. (It was, and it didn’t help that most of the jokes fell flat.) But, it’s a musical, and while Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter are commendably creepy, they are not musical performers and it shows.

    And last, but not least, I tried a new restaurant (#42). Shutters Cafe on San Pablo, near the yoga studio. I've been passing by it for a few months now and decided to go out of my comfort zone, and try a new place. I had a hamburger. My theory is that if a restaurant can make ordinary stuff really good, then their specialties are worth coming back for. A perfectly nice hamburger, but no big deal. I'm going to do more research before the next restaurant.

    No comments: